Wednesday 7 March 2012

Owl Tutorial

Owl Tutorial
As part of my blog I wanted to add some tutorials.  I have found so many great tutorials teaching me how to make and decorate cookies, so I wanted to try and help others learn how as well.   Here is a picture of the original Owl set I made inspired by a picture I saw on http://www.cakecentral.com/


You will need:
-Cookie dough ( I use No Fail Sugar Cookie dough recipe from cakecentral.com because it doesn't spread)
-Royal icing coloured in light blue, darker blue, white, black and orange
-Piping bags
-Couplers
-Tips 1-5 are ideal but you could get away with using just a 2 if you had to
-Toothpicks to fix little mistakes and pop any air bubbles in your icing
-A cup with a wet paper towel in the bottom to set your filled piping bags in
-Parchment paper 
-Cookie Cutters 2 round
 After rolling the dough on parchment paper I cut the owl body from a 4" inch circle and used two 2" circles to create the eyes.
 I then used a paring knife to cut two triangles for the ears. After placing the circle on the cookie sheet, gently press the two ears up against the circle and they will bake into one piece.
For the eyes, cut a small piece out of the one circle, like pictured below.  Then once you have them on the cookie sheet press them gently against each other so they will bake into one piece. 
After your cookies have cooled completely outline your owl in the lighter colour. I used a #2 tip to outline and flood the cookie. If you are doing several cookies I would recommend switching to a #4 or #5 tip to do the flooding part to save time.  
 After you have filled in the whole owl, outline the eyes.
 Once the lighter colour has dried at least an hour it's time to add the darker shade. Use a #1 or #2 tip to draw in and fill the bottom section then make short lines all around the owl to look like stitching.
 Fill the eyes in with white icing.
 After the white has dried for a couple hours or overnight add your black to the eyes leaving a little circle of white as shown. then fill in the rest of the black. Note if you add the black before the white has dried thoroughly the black may bleed into the white.
 Attach your eyes on to the owl with some of your white icing.
 Then add your beak.  Fill this area quite full at the top and lessen the amount of icing as you get toward the point.
 Ta Da! You made a cute owl cookie!
I hope you have fun making Owls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment